My Favorite Parks (so far)

So Paris has about 400 parks and gardens. For the month that I’m here, it would be impossible for me to see them all. Right now, my two favorite parks has are the Place des Vosges and Parc Montsouris.

In 1605, Henri IV had started to build Place des Vosges and it was finished by 1612. Originally the square was filled with gravel and it was used for parades. Much later it was planned out the way it is today, with grass, trees, fountains, and benches. It is not a very large square but it was the first of its kind.

Parc Montsouris was opened in 1889 and it has not changed too much in the past 124 years. Montsouris was designed in the English landscape style. While the park looks very natural, every tree, plant, rock, hill, and the lake was put there for a reason. The park is also very quiet, even though the RERB runs right through the park. You won’t even realize that it is there until you are on the bridge over the tracks.

What I like so much about the Parisian parks is that they get used so much. There are always people in them. There are people picnicking, children playing, joggers, old people sitting on benches, couples making out in the grass, and everything else. Back at home, I feel like our parks don’t get used as much as they do here in Paris. I can’t wait to explore more of the parks in Paris and I’m sure that my list will continue to grow!